Thursday, August 20, 2009

Why I don't read novels

I was recently reminded again why I don't read novels. Because once I start one, I can't stop reading it!!! Novels take over my life: instead of sleeping, I read; instead of working out during my daughter's swim lesson, I read. When I'm not reading, I'm daydreaming about reading, and when the book finally ends, I experience a crushing loss of identity and purpose. Unless, of course, the book I just finished is one in a series, in which case my addiction can be fed until the series runs out.

This is why I never made it past the fourth Harry Potter book. The initial reason was that I went to China and didn't want to carry all the books with me. By the time I got back, I had become aware of the time I lost whenever I read novels and so was able to resist resuming the Harry Potter series. I must say though that I was very tempted to get back into them when the final book came out, but I eventually decided that feeding and clothing my family was probably more essential and that their basic survival would be put into jeopardy if I had picked up Books 5-7. But I digress...

So what has happened to remind me once again of the danger of novels? It started last year with two books by Anne Rice. Yup, the vampire lady. I never would have dreamed that I would ever be reading one of her books, but she apparently became a Christian (Catholic) several years ago and began to work on a series of novels about the life of Jesus, written from his perspective. I found out about them when Adam was assigned to read one of her books for one of his New Testament classes. The professor assigned the first one (Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt) because of her thorough research and depiction of life as it might actually have been during that time. It was a phenomenal book, and I quickly requested from the library a copy of the second one (Christ the Lord: The Road to Cana). Fortunately for my family's sake, she is still working on the third one, and so I was able to return to normal life soon after reading #2.

I read a few novels between then and now (The Good Earth by Pearl Buck, The Red Tent by Anita Diamant, and I even started Moby Dick but never finished) but none of them consumed me until I borrowed The Kite Runner from a good friend. I can't remember a more gripping, heart-renching book. I finally stayed up late to finish it last night, but as in the previous nights I laid awake thinking about the book for an additional hour after I closed its cover. Everyone I know who has read The Kite Runner tells me that Khaled Hosseini's other book (A Thousand Splended Suns) is even better. To be honest, I'm not sure I could handle another of his books so soon. I feel that I still have much to absorb as The Kite Runner sinks in more deeply. For now, I will pray for Afghanistan and its people that God would bring peace and justice to this nation and deep healing to its people.

3 comments:

Jamie Butts said...

It's interesting you put this post after the one about Katie reading. One of the main things I remember from all of my college ed classes (and there was a lot of extra stuff that wasn't worth learning) was that kids are better readers when they come from literate homes, where reading is valued, observed, books are everywhere, there is variety, etc. I think there is value to be gained in even reading novels, and it's obvious that Katie is getting the reading bug from her momma! As a teacher, I saw it to be true. Kids who loved to read had parents who loved to read. (I'm sure it's probably pretty true about the Bible, too.)

Anonymous said...

Yay for reading!!! Susan Wise Bauer has a great essay/talk on why you should read instead of cleaning your kitchen. :-) Seriously, it's called "Stop Cleaning the Kitchen and Read a Book."

http://www.memoriapress.com/articles/Stop-cleaning-the-kitchen.html

Anonymous said...

Now I know where my copy of The Red Tent went. I will get it from you when you come next time. Did you read my copy of The Kite Runner as well? Thanks. Mom
By the way, I have learned that we must give ourselves permission to read! I grew up thinking that unless we are working/or cleaning, we are wasting time. Reading is one of the blessings we must take time to enjoy and it is not passive or wasteful. Reading is growing! Keep it up while you can.