Sunday, November 18, 2007

Helped by prayer

I have always loved the story in Exodus 17 in which Aaron and Hur hold up Moses' arms during the battle with the Amalekites. It is such a powerful illustration of how God has designed us to depend upon other people when we are weak.

I recently experienced something that reminded me of Moses' need for Aaron and Hur. I have been going through a season of spiritual dryness, and this past week I had reached a very low point of doubt and despair. After Thursday night, however, things were different.

So what happened on Thursday that changed things? Thursday night is when my women's group from church meets. After our study we have a time for prayer requests and accountability. I shared with these sisters my struggle and they prayed for me. And that changed everything. I was having a hard time believing that God actually heard my prayers, but it was not hard at all for me to believe that God not only was hearing but would actually answer the prayers of my sisters! This increased my hope and my faith, that God would indeed restore to me the joy of my salvation. And then He actually started answering their prayers....my own hard heart started softening. What an encouragement to have more faith.

I'm not at all saying that when you get your friends to pray for you that your life will be instantly fixed. But I am saying that the Bible tells us what to do if we are struggling and it comes with a promise: "Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." I can personally attest to the truth of this verse (James 5:16), and I encourage anyone who is struggling and feeling hopeless to tell someone and have them pray for you. I love how Paul states his need in 2 Corinthians 1:11, "You also must help us by prayer, so that many will give thanks on our behalf for the blessing granted us through the prayers of many."

I dedicate this post to Ashley, Bethany, Krista, Laurel, Melanie, Cindy, Lindsay, Lauren, and Tracy. Thank you, dear sisters, for your love and prayers. I also want to thank my husband who is a continual source of encouragement to me, especially in his patience towards me!

I'll end with one of my most favorite quotes from Dietrich Bonhoeffer's Life Together:

"The Christian needs another Christian who speaks God's Word to him...The Christ in his own heart is weaker than the Christ in the word of his brother; his own heart is uncertain, but his brother's is sure."

5 comments:

Jamie Butts said...

Encouraging post, dear sister!!! Press on in hope!

Anonymous said...

Mary! Praise God for the blessing of the family of believers. I have recently been reminded as well that the work of God in a brother or sister's life is a blessing to me as well because we share the same Father. I praise God because of what He, My Father, (and yours) has done for you! Happy Thanksgiving!

David Funk said...

Very cool - and I love the Bonhoeffer quote. I've been going through Life Together with our Elders lately. Good stuff.
Courage to you, Mary.

Anonymous said...

Bonhoeffer is good for those one-liners isn't he? I find myself with a similar spiritual constitution as yourself. Alone I am weak. When in the presence of those with strong faith, my faith grows strong also. Or ... listening to Hillsong's God-Centered worship songs, they also greatly strengthen my heart when I'm in a dry spell. In fact, I felt the most strengthened by God's truth being sung with great passion--even more than after speaking to others.

Anne said...

I LOVE that picture!!!

I know it isn't the real photo taken at the Battle. (thanks to my Husband...jk) But it reminded me of the story, which is still fresh in my memory due to my Bible readings. And I am a visual person, so I really love it!

Thanks,
Anne