Sunday, December 2, 2007

On being the mother of an almost 2 year old

I write on the eve of Katie's 2nd birthday. In anticipation of "the big day" the last few weeks, I've been thinking a lot about motherhood, specifically about being Katie's mommy. So, as a public declaration of love for my daughter, I thought I'd share some of these thoughts as well as a sneak preview of some photos we had taken several weeks ago. (I'll post the rest once the Christmas gifts have been distributed to family!)

The foremost thought in my mind these past few weeks is what a JOY it is to be her mother. The past 12 months of her life have been so much fun. Week by week I've gotten to witness the many incremental changes in her development, the teeny ones that only a mother would notice (e.g. "She just made an 's' sound for the first time!" or "I didn't know she knew the words to that song!"). Then there would be those days when she seemed to have become an older, different child overnight. It seems like yesterday that I was trying to guess what her grunts and cries meant. Now I'm having real, actual conversations with my child...that she's initiating!

Here are a few of my favorite things about my daughter:
  • She LOVES to sing and even tries to sing along with us at church even though she has no clue what the words are. It's hysterical because she sounds just like most people sound when they're singing along to a song but then hit a section where they don't know the words! You know what I'm talking about....

  • She calls the "ABCs" the "HIJs."

  • Whenever she sees a picture of me from my wedding day, she gets an ecstatic expression on her face and shouts, "Mommy Princess!"

  • Her favorite song is "The wise man built his house upon the rock" although she calls it the "Wah-wee song." She even does the motions (as seen in the photo on the left above).

  • When she pretends to cook (which she does often) and you ask her what she's making, she usually says either "rice" (which is weird because she hates rice) or "cupcakes." When you ask her what kind of cupcakes she's making, she says (without hesitation) "doughnut cupcakes," a response which is without a doubt inspired by her many trips with Daddy to the doughnut shop a block away.
I could go on and on, of course. But I need to go to bed so I can make sure to get up early enough to fix pancakes for breakfast. Why pancakes? Because when I asked her what she wanted to eat on her birthday, that's what she said!

More pics to come tomorrow!

9 comments:

Hannah Murray said...

Now if those aren't the two cutest girls I've ever seen....

Tim and I both loved reading about Katie this morning. Keep telling all the funny details! She is such a blessing.

JM said...

Happy Birthday Katie!!

Jenny said...

Happy Birthday Katie!!!!

Anne said...

How did the Elmo Cake go?
Happy Birthday!
-Anne

Vincent said...

Has that really been TWO years ago!!! Wow. Happy Birthday Katie bug! Mary, I was reading about Hudson Taylor today and it made me pray for you, Adam, and Katie. Can't wait to see you guys this weekend!
Cari

Anonymous said...

Mary! What a sweet post. It almost made me cry. Thanks for that message the other day with Katie's voice! It was truely a blessing to hear her voice! Tell her I love her too!!! I told Adam if you guys wanted me to babysit for a few hours over the Christmas break while you guys go on a date or something to let me know. I could take her back to the FUN DOME!!! I hope to come over Saturday night before Katie goes to bed to see her (after I get back from the SEAL feild trip to the Creation Museum).

Anonymous said...

To Katie's mommy,
It seems that you have seen the world through different eyes, mommy........for you are my own little "Katie", (Mary Margaret)and it thrills me so much to know you know now what I could never explain to you earlier in your life. It's like when a child asks "Why?", a mommy wants to say, "Just because!". you wait...soon, very soon. By the way, you are a princess.

Anonymous said...

Oh I love it! The pictures are so great!!! I want to see the rest! And I love (and relate to) hearing all of the new things Katie is doing. I smiled as I imagined her doing all of that. hahaha. We love being neighbors!!!

Jamie Butts said...

The 3rd pic is my favorite, I love it that she calls them the HIJ's and I love gleaning valuable mommy wisdom from you. Love you!