Sunday, January 6, 2008

Knowing God

The minds of two year olds amaze me. They can seemingly learn and understand anything! I've been very challenged lately in my parenting to take advantage of Katie's innate curiosity and "spongelike" mind. What an opportunity we have as parents to pour as much truth and knowledge into her as we can at this young age--whether it be shapes, colors, numbers, countries, states, or presidents (thanks to our Wal-mart placemats), basic Bible storylines (Zaccheus and Jonah are her favorites at the moment) or deep spiritual truths like God knows everything, Jesus died for me and He loves us even more than mommy and daddy do.

Tonight, however, I was reminded afresh, not only of the opportunity toddlerhood provides, but also the responsibility I have to make the most of my time as Katie's mother. As I was brushing her teeth tonight she asked me, "Where'd Jesus go, Mommy?" (Her question of the moment is "Where'd fill-in-the-blank go?") I explained to her that Jesus used to be here on earth but that now He was with God in heaven. Katie then looked up at me and said, "I don't know Jesus, Mommy. I don't know Jesus." She continued to say that about 10 more times and then began saying, "I don't know God, Mommy." I asked her, "Katie, do you want to know Jesus?" And shaking her heading furiously, she said, "Noooo."

Now I completely understand that she probably did not intend for me to take these statements in the way that I interpreted them. She probably meant to say, "I don't know where Jesus is" in answer to her own question. But the Lord nevertheless used her to get my attention. My child does not know Jesus. If left to herself, the inclination of her heart (just like the inclination of all our hearts apart from the Spirit's gracious work) is not to want to know Him. And so tonight, in my child's own simple, unknowing way, I was reminded of the sober responsibility I have as a Christian parent--to pray, teach, speak, love, serve, and live in such a way as to make adorn the doctrine of God in the eyes of my child.

As you read this, please pray for Katie and for us--that God would one day enlighten the eyes of her heart and grant her the knowledge of God and that we would be faithful to teach her and train her and hold out to her the glorious good news that can save her. Pray the same thing for any children you know and their parents as well. And while you're at it, if you're a Christian, thank God for His gracious and merciful act of revealing Himself to you and shedding light into your darkened understanding. And as you give thanks, may your heart be broken with sadness over those who have not tasted and seen that the Lord is good and are content to walk in darkness. And if you're not a Christian, ask yourself, "Am I like Katie?" Do you say in your heart, "I don't know Jesus"? Do you want to know Him?

Even as I write this Katie is singing herself to sleep. What a precious little voice she has. And you know what song she's singing? "Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so." Amen, Katie, amen.


7 comments:

Anne said...

That is so funny that you would be blogging on your child's salvation...as I am currently uploading a video of my child saying her catechisms! are we on the same page tonight or what?
We will be praying for you. This is such a wonderful time in their lives.

-Anne

the reppard crew said...

Hi Mary,

I love reading your blog and being able to catch up on life as you, Katie, and Adam know it. The pictures of her are so sweet. I love the image of her singing herself to sleep with "Jesus loves me." That is awesome, and so cute.

Hope y'all are well!

love
shannon

PastorDave said...

Mary,

What a sweet word to read on your blog about Katie. We will surely pray for her and your family.

God bless,
David

jaclyn bergeron said...

(this is blake...and jaclyn too, but mostly blake because he is typing) i am not so much into the cuteness or sweetness of the blog (although it is both of those), what you have written is so deep theologically yet so simple at the same time. Thanks for challenging me with your words and your images of katie growing and learning,and although I am not a parent (yet) your challenge to embody christ to the little ones hits close to home for me in my interaction with all my little patients! I love you all and the videos of katie have brightened many a call night, thanks for all you do and who you are!

Anonymous said...

Oh my dear Mary and Adam,
I wondered why I decided to check on you through your blog and now I know. Oh the amazing grace that God has for us as we seek Him, to know Him daily and to tell our own children, about the absolutely most important person (actually persons) they will ever met and know. Yes, God does honor your love and Katie's openess. Just remember You cannot save Katie! Remind yourselves that "no one comes to the Father except through Jesus, His son." Glory be to Him who does not let any Word go empty but accomplishes the purpose for which it is sent! Katie probably knows Him but cannot grasp His very presence because she cannot see him. Surely she feels him deeply already! Abstract thoughts are very difficult for children under age 3 BUT the stories, the songs, and your very relationship through prayer and obedience and most of all your love for her and for each other will be THE WORD, that will not return empty. I love you!

Anonymous said...

Very moving. I will pray for her precious heart to understand who Jesus is.

Rebecca Allen said...

Mary - Your words here are deeply challenging. I pray I can be as godly of a Mommy as you are (and as my mom is). Thank you for blogging this.
Love,
Rebs
P.S. I don't have your number! But you can call me pretty much anytime during the day and I should be free. email me if you don't have my number.