Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Who's more famous in the 'Ville?

This post will make no sense for any non-Louisvillean readers out there, but I simply had to blog about a recent debate that took place in the McCulloch home that we need YOUR help to resolve:

Who is more famous in Louisville--Brian Brohm or Darryl Isaacs (aka the Heavy Hitter)?

The debate was inspired by an amazing week in which I had, not one, but TWO close encounters with Louisville celebrities.

The first occurred as I was leaving the St. Matthews Target on a snowy day. As I was returning my cart to the cart corral and suiting Katie up for the wintry weather, in comes a man dressed in casual clothes (but the kind of casual clothes that look expensive). He was rather short, and as soon as our eyes met and I paused in recognition, he flashed me this smiling look that said, "Yeah, it's me." ("dial 458-1000") (don't act like you don't know the tune).

Then just a few days later, a group of us were having lunch at Quizno's after church, and who sat right behind us but Brian Brohm! (And then I found $5....) (a shoutout to my Davidson readers)

So, here's the deal. To all my Louisville readers, please vote using the poll on my blog and then leave a comment explaining your choice.



9 comments:

Riley said...

Man, Brian Brohm is way more famous. He might not have his picture on the side of as many buses, but he is more famous here. No question!

Anne said...

Ummm...Dan and I are currently have our own debate now!! Thanks for giving us something to discuss tonight!! Dan wants you to know that Daryl is from Lexington, and drives here for buisness each day. As for me(esp to Riley)I had never heard of Brian. We have lived here almost 4 years now and I can honestly say that I "HAVE" heard of Daryl. I knew his number before I knew my own!!!!!!

Riley said...

This is craziness! I saw the vote tally and I don't know who all is voting on this thing but I smell a conspiracy! I am about to volunteer to take this survey to the actual streets and start asking the public. If we take both of the pictures you have on your blog Mary and ask 100 people what the names of these people are and what they do, Brian would win in a landslide. I am sorry that Anne has never heard of B.B. but most people in Louisville watch quite a bit of sports, especially the Cards. Craziness I tell you, craziness! Moreover, this survey does not represent a true cross section of the population in Louisville. I would guess that most of the people who read this are women (like Anne) who might not be as exposed to Brian. Furthermore, most of the women who read this blog are not from here and don't have the kind of history with the Brohms that the rest of Louisville does. Yep, Brian Brohm is king of Louisville. The Heavy Hitter is only the king of a few buses.

Anne said...

Yikes Riley!
...Dan knew who Brian was!! I think Mary intended this to be a "fun" poll. Don't get too stressed about it, ok?

Riley said...

Yeah, Laurel had to get on to me last night too because she was making the case for the Heavy Hitter. Sorry Anne! Yeah, this is supposed to be a fun poll. It would be more fun if everyone agreed with me. Just joking. Good job Mary on a good question that makes for good (FUN) conversation. Go Brian!

Anonymous said...

Brian Who? I would say that if I had the same experience as you, Mary, I would have recognized the Heavy Hitter and not Brohm. Perhaps that betrays my lack of following sports and not who is more famous...

Anonymous said...

Might I remind you that DeJuan Wheat was king of Louisville while I was in college...But no one knows who he is and the Heavy Hitter's still swinging!

Vincent said...

The Vincents: Please put us down for TWO votes for Daryl Issacs. We have been gone for seven months and we still can't get his stupid theme song out of our heads....IT'S HAUNTING!! (we also saw him at the mall and knew exactly who he was...)

GaGirl said...

Todd's vote is the Heavy Hitter and my vote is Brian Brohm!!
T. Crosby