Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Preparing for Child #2

It's been interesting to compare the things that are filling my mind these days with the things that filled my mind in the days prior to Katie's birth. With Katie, my thoughts were consumed with all the unknowns and anxieties about labor and delivery and with making sure I had all the right "stuff." This time around, I already have all the "stuff" and I’m not at all anxious about labor and delivery. Rather, I’m very aware of the challenges that are waiting for me in the early months of infancy and I’m trying to prepare myself mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. I know how spiritually weak I am (especially when sleep-deprived) and how tempted to selfishness, grumbling, and rudeness I will be. I’m trying to train my mind now to think godly thoughts about the inevitable rough moments.

Interestingly, this season of mental preparation was aided by a friend of mine from college who mentioned that her transition to motherhood had been rather difficult and she sometimes found herself wondering if staying at home really was worth it. Boy, did her question stir something up in me! From the time that I first received her email and began thinking about how to respond, the Lord began to give me fresh insights about motherhood, things I clearly need to be reminded of as I enter this new stage of motherhood. I have attempted to put down these thoughts in written form and will be posting them over the next few days.

I also want to elicit any advice from moms of 2 (or more) about how I can best prepare for what's to come. What are things you wish you had done differently as you transitioned to being a mom of 2? What would be helpful structures/disciplines to have in place prior to the baby's arrival?

4 comments:

Melfunnie said...

ps. will pray for supernatural focus and hunger for spiritual food post-birth. also will email you soon.

Melfunnie said...

pps. do you know that whenever i check blogs, i always hope one of the indicated rss feeds is yours. and do a silent, 'bummer' when it's not

Anne said...

I'd say one thing I was NOT prepared for and it was very hard/difficult for me was that Hannah had to "sit on the back burner" a lot the first 2-3 months. (with him not eating and sleeping,me pumping every 2 hours ect...)I felt very horrible and even had meltdowns myself! Calvin just simply required way too much of my time and there was very little left for Hannah. But looking back and then at her now, she did amazing! It never really hit her that she was neglected so to speak. And now, almost 9 months later she LOVES her little brother SO much!! And he loves her. Just make sure once you do get into a routine that there is a part there for Katie. I'd say don't "make" her help with the baby until she initiates it. Make her feel like it was her idea to help. This will make it easier for her to not not like the baby. Wow, this is long.
Hopefully helpful too. If you ever find you need to "get rid" of Katie just call. Hannah likes playing with her and we could come get her if you need!!

Lisa said...

Hey Mary! I can't believe it's almost time! I wish I had disciplined myself prior to Jonathan's birth to memorize more scripture. This will allow you not only to speak truth to your kids, but also to yourself, particularly on very tired/emotional postpartum days. Love you and will be praying for you and your family!