Monday, May 26, 2008

Parental Neglect, or The Real Story of Curious George

Katie absolutely adores Curious George books. We've read all the original ones (including my personal favorite, Curious George Goes to the Hospital) as well as all most of the ones that are "illustrated in the style of H.A. Ray."
Having read so many of the books, I consider myself to be something of an expert when it comes to Curious George. That is why I feel compelled to share an observation I've made in my many hours of reading.

The basic outline of every Curious George book is the same. The man with the yellow hat tells George to "be good," and George disobeys and gets into some kind of trouble. Through a number of intervening circumstances, George saves the day somehow and not only escapes the consequences of his disobedience but receives honor and reward for redeeming the situation.

Any thoughtful parent would find this plotline somewhat troubling. The lovable protagonist demonstrates outright rebellion in every book and never has to deal with the consequences of his actions.

What's even more troubling to me, however, is that most readers likely miss what is the real problem. The man with the yellow hat is a completely negligent guardian! Yes, George directly defies the man with the yellow hat's clear directives, but why is the man with the yellow hat leaving George by himself in the house ALL DAY? I think I'm correct to assume that George is supposed to represent the average young child (4-6 years old). What kind of parent/guardian leaves a 5 year old unattended at home for hours at a time (or by himself at a mall, ski lodge, campsite, etc)? Isn't it too much to expect a child to "stay out of trouble" in such circumstances?

So, parents, talk to your kids about George's disobedience. But don't forget the lesson that's in it for you--do not let your kids be tempted beyond what they can bear.

[I hope everyone caught the half-sarcastic tone of this post.]

2 comments:

Jenny McCulloch said...

I REFUSE to read these books to your nephews -- they don't need anymore ideas for mischevious adventures (perhaps I, however, should take a cue from the "MAN" -- buy a yellow hat and disappear:))

Anonymous said...

On my way to do something else......I read your blog, having a great big laugh and hee haw over this tall man who wears the hat. You know, the yellow one. Something about your observation feels terribly familiar. I pray it is not that you found me negligent but that perhaps, the truth of his abusive negligence came to me once upon a time..long ago, when you were in Katie's shoes! Yikes. Maybe you should send this blog to the children's writers association. I know who could present it to the Rey family. I know a relative of his. love you,
gramommy. Just let Katie enjoy playing the other characters!