Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Part of living in Louisville...

...is surviving the madness that takes over each spring in anticipation of the Kentucky Derby.

Although the actual Kentucky Derby only happens on one Saturday, the "Kentucky Derby Festival" lasts for months and includes the biggest fireworks display in the nation, Thunder over Louisville.

Just to illustrate how weird people get this time of year, the week before Derby I was trying to schedule some tutoring appointments for Saturday morning (which was the actual Derby day). The first woman I called said in disbelief, "Saturday? It's Derby!"as if I were crazy for trying to do something normal on this sacred holiday. The second lady I called almost said yes, then suddenly said, "Oh, wait, this Saturday? I'm sorry, we can't do it." I guess she remembered what day it was! Then on Saturday morning, the actual day of Derby, I heard someone say to a cashier, "Happy Derby Day!" as if it were a national holiday.

While I'm thankful Louisvilleans are returning to normal, I must say that one of the perks of the season is Derby Pie. In other parts of the country, people call any chocolate nut pie Derby Pie. But in Kentucky, you may not call a pie "Derby Pie" unless you are referring to the official Derby Pie manufactured by Kern's Kitchen. You can purchase them year-round at Kroger for $12.99. The crust is extremely rich and buttery, and the pie must be served warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for the full effect of the goodness.

On Derby Day we were having some Chinese neighbors over for dinner, and at the last second I decided I wanted to make a Derby Pie so they could experience a little slice of Americana (pun intended). I realized a little too late that I didn't have time to make or buy pie crusts, so I looked to Google for some help. I found a delicious recipe for Derby Pie Bars (I mean, Chocolate Nut Bars), and they turned out excellently.

Chocolate Nut (aka Derby Pie) Bars

(This recipe is for an 8x8 pan. Double the crust and use 1.5 recipe of filling if using a 9x13.)

Crust:
Beat 1/2 cup of softened butter. Then, add 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup of sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon of salt. When this is combined, the mixture should be coarse crumbs. Press the crust mixture onto the bottom of a greased 8x8 pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.

Filling:
Combine 3/4 cup of corn syrup (I did 1/2 light and 1/4 dark. The recipe calls for 3/4 light, but I added some dark because that's what my grandmother uses for her pecan pie and I think it turns out better. You can experiment.) and 6 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate chips (I probably used more) in a saucepan over low heat. Add 3/4 cup of sugar, 2 lightly beaten eggs, and 3/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Next, stir in 1 1/4 cups of chopped pecans.

Pour the filling mixture over the crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until almost set in the center. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Do NOT overbake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

if my blog was as laid back as yours, I could do a whole blog on my night with Katie!