Thursday, November 13, 2008

Confession.

I am a hypocrite. In order to appear disturbed by the ever-increasing commercialization of Christmas, I outwardly complain to others about the premature appearance of Christmas decorations and holiday music in stores. But what do I have playing in my car or at my home....Christmas music!!!

It always begins subtly for me around the end of October. I usually break out the Indelible Grace Christmas album first, which is just folksy enough that you could actually listen to it in July and not seem totally crazy. The same is true for Andrew Peterson's Christmas epic, Behold the Lamb of God. But then the unexpected happened right after Halloween. I was picking up a few things at the neighborhood Wal-mart Market and found myself secretly cheered, even invigorated, by the Christmas music they had blaring. (And I do mean blaring. You were going to listen to Ave Maria whether you liked it or not. It was almost as bad as walking past Abercrombie & Fitch in the mall, minus the stench of too much cologne.)
That set the stage for the day I had to make some cookies. It had finally turned cold in Louisville, and the setting was just right for breaking out the ultimate Christmas album. I normally save this album to accompany the ultimate Christmas activity (decorating the tree), but something happened to me that day, and I found myself baking cookies and listening to John Denver and the Muppets serenade me with childhood memories. Ever since then, I haven't looked back. It's been all Christmas, all the time when it comes to musical selections. Burl Ives and the Vince Guaraldi Trio on Sunday morning, Steven Curtis Chapman in the car, Julie Andrews and Harry Belefonte this morning as I write this blog. And don't even get me started on the glory of Pandora's Christmas options. All the holiday music you love without the fear of hearing Paul McCartney's "A Wonderful Christmas Time" even once!

So there you have it. My Christmas confession.

5 comments:

Ruhiyyih Rose said...

Me too!! I listened to Christmas music on purpose on my iPod...sort of missing home...ok, really missing home!

The Rogers Family said...

What's that slogan..."Jesus is the reason for season"? A season is three months, so why not start decorating in October?

The Cooks said...

Mary! I confess too -- on my blog! I just read your blog and was cracking up!

I'm glad I have you for support for so many things.

Unknown said...

i'm holding out.. but you and lorann are making me want to give up and just start listening already.

my fave is nat king cole christmas, but there's a louis and ella one that is pretty sweet, too.

since it snowed (well, flurried) the other day, doesn't that technically override the thanksgiving rule? hmm... i think i just found my loophole.

Byerly said...

I love that you are just embracing it - don't fight it:o)