Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Regret

I didn't want to write a post about the election. Especially after reading this post. But as I have observed my own response to the election results and grappled with my thoughts and feelings this morning, I felt like blogging might be an appropriate outlet.

I feel a tremendous amount of regret and sadness this morning. Not because I thought that John McCain was so great and would've been a stellar president. No, I am just so sad at the prospect that many more unborn babies will be killed because of the extreme views of Barack Obama. I feel a burden of regret that I did not do more to make my opinions known before the election and try to persuade many of my friends to consider the weightiness of his view on life.

A quick survey of some of my dearest friends' Facebook profiles showed me that many of them strongly supported Barack Obama. I myself was drawn to many things about him. Part of me is happy this morning to see that our country has finally elected an African-American president. I would've loved to vote for him for this reason alone--that I think it is good for our country to have a non-white president. However, I am a single issue voter. To many that may seem naive and irresponsible. But in my simple conscience any person who does not consider the lives of unborn children worthy of protection is disqualified from leadership. It's a similar standard some voters might have held to in the 19th century and mid-20th century. I could not have voited for a candidate who believed that people with dark skin are an inferior race and therefore worthy of being enslaved or oppressed.

Another thing that troubles me about the election results is the overwhelming number of people who cited 'the economy' as the primary deciding factor in their vote. To me this indicates an extreme selfishness and greed that has infected our country. Shouldn't we vote according to ethical principles or moral convictions? Or do we simply vote for the candidate who will leave the most cash in our pockets? This manner of voting is a perfect example of 1 Timothy 6:10 at work, "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil." (And please quote this verse correctly...it does NOT say that "money is the root of all evil.")

So, there it is. My post-election post. I am ashamed at not having spoken up sooner.

A wise friend told her young boys yesterday, "No president is completely good or completely bad. Even if the candidate we didn't vote for wins, God will use him for some good to our country." Even now I rejoice in what Obama's election says about racism in our country. It IS a symbol of progress in that sense. I pray that his administration will also be marked by progress in extending human rights to ALL humans--even those who are so vulnerable that they depend on their mothers for life.

No comments: