Tuesday, May 15, 2007

On "Quiet times"

For the third year in a row, I am attempting to read the Bible in one year. I'm ashamed to admit that in the 16 years I've been a Christian, I've never read the Bible all the way through. I really think I'm going to make it all the way this year; by God's grace I've already persevered longer than the previous two years and I think my past failures have strengthened my commitment this third time around.

There are several different plans for reading the Bible in one year. I've opted for The One Year Bible. I was inspired to use this plan by my friend Jenny...who ended up marrying the guy that suggested they read the One Year Bible together! How's that for motivation? "Read the Bible in one year and get a husband!" I love you, Jenny and Mark!

I like the One Year Bible because it takes you once through the OT, once through the NT, and twice through Psalms and Proverbs. Each day's reading is laid out by date. For example, yesterday I read 1 Samuel 15:1-16:23, John 8:1-20, Psalm 110:1-7, and Proverbs 15:8-10.

After I read, I try to make a few comments on each thing I read and then meditate on one verse that stuck out to me. (Note: Christian meditation is a completely different animal than Eastern meditation. Hopefully a future post will discuss this.) I also try to integrate what I read into my prayer time. So, yesterday I meditated on Proverbs 15:8-10:

The Lord detests the sacrifice of the wicked, but the prayer of the upright pleases him.
The Lord detests the way of the wicked but he loves those who pursue righteousness.
Stern discipline awaits him who leaves the path; he who hates correction will die.

It's neat how sometimes the different Bible passages relate to each other. In 1 Samuel, God took his Spirit away from Saul after Saul totally disobeyed the Lord. "To obey is better than sacrifice," Samuel told Saul. Then to read this same truth in the Proverbs! After meditating on these verses, I incorporated them into my prayer time, asking God's forgiveness for times I attempt to offer him my own sacrifice of self-righteousness instead of approaching Him trusting in Christ's righteousness. I thanked Him that Jesus' upright prayer pleases him and praised Him for His constant intercession for me. I acknowledged to God that He detests wickedness and that, were it not for Christ, I would be worthy of his rejecetion because of my own unrighteousness. I thanked Him that He loves his children enough to discipline them when they leave the path and prayed that I would be open to His correction. I prayed for Katie that she would not despise correction but would have a humble, teachable spirit and so find life in Christ. You get the picture.

All that happens, however, only if I wake up when I'm supposed to. If I get up late or am falling asleep, I just read the psalm and then try to read the other passages before I go to bed that night.

So that's my plan. Some days it works out better than others. The good news is that my success or failure in no way affects my acceptance before God! Praise God for a righteousness that comes from God and not myself!

4 comments:

Jamie Butts said...

Mary,
Eating lunch in the room today and wanted to comment quickly. I love your blog! It's been a daily dose of encouragement lately. I really missed being with you all last night. How was home group? I don't have Yahoo at work, so I'm not sure if anyone wrote. I'd love to hear about it. I look forward to visiting soon, Lord willing. Press on in your daily readings/meditation. What a blessing to partner with you in the faith! Thanks for the encouragement. Yesterday's post was really helpful as well!

Unknown said...

Let my people think...

Question: "the prayer of the upright pleases Him" - So do you think the author of proverbs refers to a practical uprightness that human beings have as a gift by God's transforming power, or do you think this refers to the righteousness of Christ which is outside of us?

Mary said...

Brad, thanks for your question. I definitely think that the author of the Proverbs was referring to "a practical uprightness that human beings have as a gift by God's transforming power." That's a great way to pray through that proverb--confessing to God that you want your prayers to please Him and asking Him to grow you in uprightness. But as a Christian reading the Proverbs, I also think it's good in meditation to encourage my heart with the thought of Christ being the most upright Man whose prayers always please the Father. What do you think?

Unknown said...

Yes. Christ alone is perfectly righteous, and we do well to meditate on the perfect righteousness of Christ, and his perfect intercessory prayer on our behalf, his perfect obedeince to the Father will (all the way to the cross), and the perfect Spirit which conform us to his perfect image imperfectly, but substantially. zsheah