Monday, May 7, 2007

My new favorite book

When I was growing up, I remember seeing a book called Stepping Heavenward lying around the house. Even though I was a Christian, I remember thinking disparaging thoughts about the book. Perhaps I thought the cover was cheesy or that it could not be nearly as spiritually significant as Mere Christianity or The Great Divorce (I was a huge C.S. Lewis fan in high school). Little did I know how wrong I was about this little book.

Thankfully, God in His mercy allowed this book to re-surface in my life. It all started when the ladies at the GirlTalk blog chose the biography of Elizabeth Prentiss as their second book club title. Elizabeth Prentiss was a 19th century pastor's wife who penned the hymn "More Love to Thee" as well as several books, her most famous being Stepping Heavenward. I devoured her biography and began to realize how hugely mistaken I had been about this book with the uninspiring cover.

When I visited Richmond in April, I was thrilled to see that this little book was still "lying around the house." I began reading my mom's copy and asked her if I could take it back to Louisville with me. She said no, but then handed me my very own copy from a secret stash of Stepping Heavenwards in her closet!

Well, I am pages away from finishing (which is heart-breaking), but as soon as I finish will start it over again. I can say that Stepping Heavenward is now my new favorite book. I am sort of thankful that I didn't ever read the book before I could fully appreciate the particular temptations that come with being a wife and mother. Yet at the same time, I wonder how my experience as a new wife and mother would have been different had I already been exposed to the precious truths this book teaches.

So...whether you are already a wife and mother or are not even close to this season of life, please buy this book and read it carefully. I even recommend this book to any men out there. This book will give you tremendous insight into what life is like as a Christian woman and would help you know how to encourage the women in your life.

A word of advice: buy the book, don't just borrow it. That way you can underline and make notes and take this book with you through every season of life. I understand now why my mom didn't want to loan me her well-marked copy! Oh, and if anyone out there has read the book and loved it, feel free to say so and leave a comment! Encourage others to share in the blessing!

PS-Even though I no longer find the cover to be a hindrance, I was happy to see that there's a new edition out with different cover art.

PPS-To motivate the men to read this book, check out my husband's post about its author.

1 comment:

Jamie Butts said...

You sold it on me. I'll add it to my summer reading list! :)