Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Changing things up

Yesterday, I wrote about what I do for my devotional time, and I commended to you the One Year Bible.

While I have definitely enjoyed the variety of this plan as well as reading extended passages, I've been wanting for some time to go through a little booklet called A Gospel Primer. You can order it from this website or download it for free. The pastor that wrote this booklet was motivated by reading Jerry Bridges' The Discipline of Grace (which coincidentally we are reading right now for our women's book study!) In DoG (which is my affectionate abbreviation for the Bridges' book), Bridges challenges Christians to preach the gospel to themselves every day. It seems that over the last 5 years of my life, I have heard this exhortation again and again, with increasing intensity. Going through this Gospel Primer is a practical way for me to become more disciplined in this vital spiritual discipline.

My hopes are to post a nugget from this booklet every day for as long as it takes me to get through it. The first section of this book focuses on reasons why we need to preach the gospel to ourselves every day. He gives 20 reasons. Today's were: the New Testament model and my daily need.

Today's quote comes from the section, "My Daily Need:"

"There is simply no other way to compete with the forebodings of my conscience, the condemnings of my heart, and the lies of the world and the Devil than to overwhelm such things with daily rehearsings of the gospel."

No comments: