Saturday, September 8, 2007

Currently listening to...and remembering

I chose for my morning music today a beloved CD that I had not listened to for some time. Don't you love how listening to an old CD is like having a good conversation with an old friend? The CD I listened to while Katie and I ate breakfast was Sara Groves' album Conversations. Each song on that album is precious to me in some way, and this morning it called to mind many sweet relationships. In particular, I thought of my friend Jenny who introduced me to Sara Groves's music in college.

Just yesterday I was reminded of this same precious friendship when I read my friend Hannah's blogpost. Much like Hannah, as I remember the faithfulness of God in giving me such friends, I'm also reminded of His present faithfulness in giving me friends in Louisville. One of my "present tense friends" (who I think has uncanny similarities to my college friend Jenny) also posted recently on her blog about the gift of friends.
I'll close with one of my all-time favorite C.S. Lewis quotes from his chapter on friendship in The Four Loves:
"In a perfect Friendship this Appreciative love is, I think, often so great and so firmly based that each member of the circle feels, in his secret heart, humbled before all the rest. Sometimes he wonders what he is doing among his betters. He is lucky beyond desert to be in such company. Especially when the whole group is together, each bringing out all that is best, wisest, or funniest in all the others. Those are the golden sessions..."

1 comment:

Jamie Butts said...

That makes me want to get that cd! I send you tonight's picture, because if you are anything like me, you're dying to see how it turned out. :) What a great picture. Wish every member of Third was in it... oh well. Still looks great!