Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Signs of the Season (and a new Katie video!)

I am so incredibly ready for fall. Here are a few tips for those out there who, like me, desire to hasten fall's advent.

1. Make cranberry scones.
I'm usually not a big scone fan (too dry and tasteless), but I've been dreaming about making these ever since Erin Wheeler served them at play group last spring. They are moist and sweet and awesome. They're actually great any time of year, but I got to enjoy them this week, so I put them on my list. Thanks, Erin, for the recipe!

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (I use unbleached)
1/2 cup sugar
1 rounded T baking powder
1/4 t salt
3/4 cup milk
1 t vanilla
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup coarsely chopped apples
1 cup coarsely chopped cranberries (I used Craisins)

Combine dry ingredients. Combine milk, vanilla, egg, butter, and apples in a separate bowl and add to dry mixture. After stirring together, gently fold in cranberries. Spread batter in greased 9-10" pie pan. Spread some milk and sugar on top. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes. Do not undercook.

2. Buy a "Mulled Cider" candle from Wal-mart.
This tip is for those of you who would like to buy Yankee Candle Company's "Harvest" candle but can't justify the expense in your monthly budget. I bought Wal-mart's "Mulled Cider" candle expecting to be disappointed but discovered it was actually a great buy! The only problem is it smells so much like mulled cider that I keep walking into the kitchen to get a mug full!


3. Get a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks.
For me, this event used to herald the official arrival of fall. That is, until I found out that you could order a pumpkin spice latte any time of year. Is the Peppermint Mocha Latte available year round too? That's the real question. I am such a sucker for "Starbucks at Christmas." Doesn't the coffee taste so much better in those red cups? Anyway, the inside scoop from any of my Starbuck-employed friends re: peppermint mocha would be warmly welcomed.


3. Let your child crumple a dried leaf all over your carpet.
Okay, so not really a recommendation. It was more a discovery after the fact. I guess that's what I get for always giving her dead leaves to play with in an attempt to finish the last five minutes of my morning walk in some semblance of peace.


Speaking of Katie, she is sick again! Not with a cold this time but with a fever. Yikes. Pray for little Katie to get well soon! Until she's back to her funny self, here is a video I took yesterday before she got sick.

5 comments:

Jamie Butts said...

I have a recipe for Pumpkin Pancakes I was just thinking about putting on my blog soon. Great post, Mary. I LOVE Fall!

Rebecca Allen said...

I LOVE the video Mary - you inspire me to do stuff like that when I have kids someday ;)

Unknown said...

I soooo wish you posted a Katie video for every day of the week. I would be your most frequent blog visitor!!!!

Blake said...

ma -
2 things:
1) jaclyn says that as a former starbucks employee, that the peppermint mocha is a year round drink! However, the red sprinkles are seasonal so you're just going to have to wait.

2) Katie video's might be my favorite things in the world. whenever I'm having a rough call night, I see them and laugh and the world is all right for a minute or two!

Talk to you soon,
blake

PS - i hope katie starts feeling better.

Anne said...

I have to laugh at your Starbucks comments! Thanks for always having a fun blog to read. I also have a pumpkin pancake recipe if you need one.
-Anne-