Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Are you rich?

Several months ago Adam and I visited another church in Louisville (no, we're not thinking about transferring). It was a great church and, although I had to leave early because Katie freaked out in the nursery, I was really impacted by the twenty minutes I spent in their Sunday School class on Ministries of Mercy. The pastor was teaching on 1 Timothy 6:17-19 (Paul's command to the rich). Before he began explaining the text, however, he set out to show us that, while we may be far from making Forbes' Richest list, we are incredibly wealthy. I think all middle class Americans have a vague understanding that we're well-off, but this pastor reminded us of some incredible statistics that made me aware of exactly how wealthy I actually am.

I am actually the 429,712,644th richest person in the world. That means I am richer than almost 93% of the world.

Thus, I have no excuse not to take seriously Paul's words in 1 Timothy, for I am most definitely one of those who is rich in this present world:

"Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life."

Want to know how rich you really are? http://globalrichlist.com/

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great thoughts here. Sounds like Tim Keller stuff.