Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter Song

Last Easter I shared a song that is always on my heart this time of year. This year I thought I would share another one of my favorite Easter songs, actually entitled "Easter Song." Like the Sandi Patti song I shared last Easter, I was also introduced to "Easter Song" by my mother. The version I knew as a child was sung by a great band from the 70s and 80s called 2nd Chapter of Acts. You can listen to that version here. My favorite rendition these days is the Keith Green version.

Listen to both samples and tell me which one you like better. I realize that both are musically dated, but I find myself able to overlook that aspect because of the role the song played in teaching me how to worship the Risen Lord. Also, I think knowing the history of these two artists can also help you appreciate their work in spite of how cheesy it might sound to our ears. Both Keith Green and 2nd Chapter of Acts were used mightily by God in their time to influence a generation for Christ.

Here are the lyrics to "Easter Song." Enjoy!

Hear the bells ringing, They're singing that you can be born again
Hear the bells ringing, They're singing, "Christ is risen from the dead!"

The angel up on the tombstone said, "He has risen, just as he said.
"Quickly now, go tell his disciples that Jesus Christ is no longer dead!"

Joy to the world! He has risen, Hallelujah! He's risen, hallelujah! He's risen, hallelujah!

No comments: