Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Lime and a Heartbeat

Today I had my 12 week OB appointment, and I got to hear the baby's heartbeat for the first time! And Katie did too! Sadly, Adam was unable to join us because of his work schedule, but I'm so glad that Katie was there to experience it with me. She is already so excited about her little brother or sister and loves to talk to him/her and gives him/her kisses through my belly.

An unborn baby's heartbeat is one of the most beautiful sounds in the world. I'll never forget the first time I heard Katie's heartbeat (when I was 9 weeks pregnant, picture on right). It was then that I realized the miracle that was happening inside of me. Until that point, the only indication I had that I was pregnant was that I felt sick and tired all the time. Hearing the baby's heartbeat changed my perspective and reminded me of the new life that was being created inside of me, but really without any of my help.

Today's experience was no different, although I do admit that I've already had a much better perspective on things this second time around than I did with Katie. Not only do I know more what to expect, but it also helps that this baby was "planned" (as opposed to Katie who was in God's plan but not in ours...boy, are we thankful though that His plans are the ones that actually happen!) I think it also helps that I've been married for more than 3 months this time. :)

I've also got to point out this great slideshow I learned about from my friend Alicia's blog. Ever wondered what kind of produce your unborn baby most resembles? Wonder no more!

Here's Baby McCulloch #2 at 12 weeks:

At 12 weeks, your baby is the size of a lime and weighs 1/2 ounce. (Length: just over 2 inches, head to bottom.)

For those of you readers who are more scientically-minded, you can go here to see an illustration of a 12 week old baby in utero and here to read about what's going on developmentally at 12 weeks. Utterly amazing.

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:14

5 comments:

Laurel said...

Yay for your Baby Lime!

Unknown said...

hoooooray for produce babies!!

:o)

The Cooks said...

Hey Mary,

After losing my dinner tonight (sorry for ALL the information) and really just feeling sick all day -- I NEEDED this blog post tonight! Thank you so much.

By the way -- I promise I'm going to get to your really cool blog "challenge" that you sent me. I was so excited that you included me!

Anonymous said...

I just hope it's another GIRL!!! LoL!

bitsyinchina said...

Hey, Mary... thanks for posting this. It was really special to read about M Baby #2! (McBaby??) Who knows? Maybe when I'm home in January I'll be able to see y'all!
much love