Friday, June 5, 2009

Life in Neverland

I'm pretty sure that there were about two full years of my childhood that I spent pretending I was Wendy from Peter Pan. Just ask my mom.

I now realize my mom's true motives in bequeathing to my daughter my beloved "Wendy dress" as well as bringing Disney's Peter Pan DVD with her when she came to visit in April. Payback, anyone? Katie now lives and breathes Peter Pan. All day, every day, we are chased by the crocodile, running from Captain Hook, flying with Tinkerbell, and cleaning up after the Lost Boys. At first it was sweet and even flattering that my daughter would enjoy the same imaginary world that I had loved as a child. But, if I'm honest, the meltdowns that occur when the Wendy dress has to be removed or when I just want her to be Katie for awhile and not Wendy or Tiger Lily are starting to get a little old. Thankfully, I've had some breaks from Neverland since we've had a number of visitors and they get the privilege of being inducted into Katie's Neverland.

Grandma Sue was the most recent visitor to become a citizen of Neverland. I guess she caught the bug herself given the contents of the package we received yesterday. See for yourself:

Princess Tiger LilyWendy

3 comments:

Hannah Murray said...

She looks like such a drama queen. Wish I could be around to know her better (and get initiated into Neverland) :-)

Anne said...

that IS pretty cute!!
We play the different characters from Tale Spin over here.

Anonymous said...

Mary (and all of you who really did think they were just like Wendy), I was so thankful to come across the gown in the trunk in October when I was looking for Minne Mouse, the nurse, the pocket book, the bows, and other treasures. I wanted to let her enjoy them when she was the same age you enjoyed them. I will be happy to come back to Kentucky and take the blue robe that is now about 25 years old off your hands as long as I can bring the cutest "Darling" girl in the entire world back to Richmond with me. I hope that someday you will come across something you can share with your girls,if you are blessed to have grandchildren. From now on, I will keep all the rest at Gramommy's house. These dreamy days of childhood seem tedious now, but as the years go by, you will indeed cherish them. Grandma Sue, you go girl! Has Adam been home long enough to get involved and is he Peter Pan? If anyone wants to see Mary dressed in these playclothes, she has the photos I took of HER way back then. Wendy's gramommy