Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Slugs, Bugs, and Lullabies

Also known as our new favorite CD! One of my best friends from college recently sent it to Caroline (thanks, Jaclyn!), but I'm pretty sure Katie and I are enjoying it more than she is at this point. I love Andrew Peterson anyway, but it is so fun to listen to these songs because you can totally picture how they must have written themselves in his home.

Katie's favorite song is "Tractor, Tractor" mostly because I think it talks about a carriage going to the ball. What cracks me up though is how on target that song is with 3 year old humor. The stanzas are pretty standard: Tractor harvesting the wheat, Backhoe digging up the dirt, Firetruck zooming down the street, etc. Then after the song is over, Andrew Peterson interrupts Randall Goodgame with his own rendition in which he mixes all the words up: Firetruck going to the ball, Backhoe flying to the moon, etc. Katie was absolutely hysterical. Almost as hysterical as the first time we read Caps for Sale. I love kid humor.

My favorite song is "You can always come home." I was actually first introduced to it through a Veggie Tales video called "The Wizard of Ha's." It's the retelling of the Prodigal Son story through a veggified Wizard of Oz medium (one of their better movies, in my opinion, and I am not a huge Veggie Tales fan). It's a precious song, one that I hope to sing to my kids often, because it is so true. I hope its message stays in their hearts forever.

There once was a man who found him a treasure
Buried out under a tree.
He sold all he had just to own it forever.
The treasure is you, you see.
I love you today, and I love you tomorrow.
I love you as deep as the sea.
I love you in joy, and I love you in sorrow.
You can always come home to me.

There once were some sheep safe on the farm,
And one little lamb got loose.
The shepherd went out and carried it home.
That little lamb is you.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If only I knew the tune to that beautiful song. I can only pray that someday I will be able to sing a song as this to my grown up kids, like you! A mother needs to sing it to her little ones just as much as a little one needs to hear these blessings from their mom.......
Somebody's gramommy