Sunday, April 8, 2007

A different kind of Easter

This was definitely the most unique Easter Sunday I've ever had.

Katie's been sick now for 5 days. Thankfully, she hasn't thrown up or had it out the other end in over 24 hours. But she is so sleepy--yesterday she took three 1.5-2 hour naps (usually she only takes one 2 hour nap). It's like having a newborn again! Hopefully today is the last day of it...the doc said that this virus runs about 5 days.

Anywho...because she's sick, I did not go to church today. It was weird not to be in church on Easter Sunday. All day I longed to be with the people of God, rejoicing together in the resurrection of our Savior. I hope to blog about this experience in a future post and talk more about what I've learned about the significance of the local church in the life of believers.

Another thing that made this Easter so unique was the ridiculous weather! It is freezing here in Louisville (and snowing apparently in Richmond). Growing up my mom would point out that it always stormed on Good Friday. I think I usually rolled my eyes at her, but over the last few years I've noticed that there usually is some kind of storm on Good Friday. Kind of neat. Well, this year's Good Friday storm was something I'd never experienced--for about 20 minutes it was like an all-out blizzard. It came out of nowhere and then it suddenly stopped. Unbelievable.

Thankfully, I did get to escape the sick ward here at home for a few hours on Friday in order to attend our church's Good Friday service. The elder who preached challenged us not to let this Easter go by as just a blip on the radar. We should not wake up Monday morning and think the same way as we did the previous Monday. We should remember that because of the resurrection, everything is different! So, in an effort to heed his exhortation, I'm hoping to post each day a little meditation on why Christ's resurrection matters. I don't know why the resurrection so easily slips to the back of my mind, but this should not be! I'm praying that this little series this week will cause the resurrection to be forced back to its rightful place in the front of our minds.

6 comments:

Rich Clark said...

Jessica also was forced by sickness (her own) to stay home on Easter Sunday. She even had to miss me preach! It was sad!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Miss Katie was sick. :( If you end up needing help while at your mom's let me know! And I'll be there to see you at some point I'm sure. I'll have to laundry at some point. *sigh* I never knew how much I loved my washing machine until it doesn't work! At least the dryer still works.

Oh, and Most of the snow was gone except for shaded areas by the time everyone arrived for dinner. Missed ya'll!

JJ

Jamie Butts said...

We missed you. I was sad for you (and Jessica) having to miss! Love ya, Mary!

Unknown said...

You need to Post about your week. Tell us how Katie is. Your bieng stingy with your life!

Unknown said...

oh, by the way ... You also need to make a comment on my last blog so I can have a easier portal to your site.

Unknown said...

So I've given you plenty of time-----where's the post?