Monday, April 2, 2007

Intentions...and a confession

So why blog? Hopefully, that's question that every blogger asks himself at some point.

This question was actually part of the reason I hesitated so long in starting to blog myself! Was I just trying to be cool? Aren't blogs inherently self-centered? Is it prideful to think that enough people would actually care about my musings to make blogging worthwhile?

Clearly those issues haven't stopped me. They may all be true, but I've come to the conclusion that the advantages of blogging (at least for now) override whatever mixed motives I may have.

#1: Keeping in touch. Having a blog will serve to alleviate at least some of the guilt I feel in not keeping in touch with all the people I really love but fail to keep in touch with. This is also the reason I reluctantly joined Facebook (well, this reason plus immense curiosity).

#2: It's been a long time since I've talked (really talked) to many of my dearest friends from the past. A lot has changed since high school/college/China and I'd love for those who have so impacted my life to have a chance to know me a little bit better, notwithstanding years and miles.

#3: It's an easy way to satisfy the members of the Katie McCulloch Fan Club.

#4: I heard someone say one time that writing is the most refined form of thinking. I think this is true. So, in an effort to discipline my thinking, I will blog.

So...what can you expect from this blog? Pictures of Katie, stories about our life here in Louisville, and basically whatever happens to be on my mind. I do not plan on posting every day, but I do hope to post somewhat regularly.

And my confession: I greatly fear the potential of being misunderstood. So, if I ever write anything on here that you think is stupid or crazy, I ask that you please give me the benefit of the doubt. If such a time occurs, please email me instead of posting a hurtful comment. But do post comments!

So there they are. My intentions. And my second post.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like your thoughts. Esp the one about writing as the most refined form of thought. I agree, and your thoughts about blogging were helpful also. I definitely am part of the Katie Mculluch (sp?) fan !!!!! You must have at least one "Katie" post per week, where you tell us 1) What the cuttest/funniest thing she did that week was, and 2) your favorite Katie moment of the week (which may or may not be funny or cute) !!! ---you like how I've just dictated your blog schedule? lol Happy Easter.