Tuesday, April 3, 2007

The meaning of the title

So why the title "All Things Loss?"

1. I felt stupid just naming my blog "Mary McCulloch's blog."

2. It was available.

3. The real reason...
Philippians 3:7-11 has long been one of my favorite passages of Scripture. It's one of those that convicts every time I read it. Reading it is often like the first breath you take when you step outside on a very cold day. It kinds of hurts but it's also invigorating. I don't know how many times I have prayed and asked God to make this passage true of my life. I want to consider all things loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. I wish I could say that I have suffered the loss of all things for his sake. I long to be able to say that I would count all things rubbish if I might gain Christ. This passage is an exposing one. It humbles me and through it the Spirit stirs up holy desires within me--desires that I would not have if left by myself.

But perhaps the best part of Philippians 3:7-11 is Philippians 3:12-14:
Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

Praise God for passages like that. Though I daily see that I am very far away from "becoming like Christ in his death," He has nevertheless taken hold of me. This is hope. And so I press on.

And I've just got to include the amazing verse 16: "Only let us live up to what we have already attained."

Thoughts anyone?

No comments: