Friday, April 6, 2007

What's so good about Good Friday?

That's the question that was at the top of my mind when I sat down for my devotions this morning. So, I spent my time seeking the answer to it. I read through the account of Jesus' trial and crucifixion in Luke (22:39-23:56). As it turns out, there are a lot of reasons why Good Friday is good. I'd like to focus on one. We call the day that Jesus died 'good' because what God accomplished through it was for my greatest good.

If Jesus had not died (and risen!), I (and you) would face God's perfect justice. Given the fact that we have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God (which almost seems euphemistic sometimes when you think about how evil it is to rebel against a completely good God), facing God's perfect justice would mean nothing less than facing His holy wrath. (For those of you who might have trouble with what I just said, think about the fact that justice cannot exist without wrath. And by wrath I simply mean punishment that fits the crime.)

Amazingly, however, the fact that I (and you) completely and justly deserve God's righteous judgment, is given a caveat through Good Friday. Good Friday is good for us because when Jesus died, God poured out on him the punishment that I (and you) deserve. On the cross Jesus absorbed God's wrath completely and I can now stand before God without fear--not because I am any less sinful (though by His grace He is changing me bit by bit so that I am less sinful), but only because Jesus lived the perfect life that I could never live and died the death that I deserved. That is one reason why Christians call Good Friday 'good.'

So, to my Christian reader, I pray that you will praise the God who accomplished such good for you at such a great cost to himself. I pray that you will realize that the greatest gift has been given to you--not solely forgiveness, escape from hell, etc. But (as John Piper so beautifully explains in his book God is the Gospel), these things are good only because they get you to GOD--who is the most beautiful, glorious, heart-satisfying Being imaginable.

And to my non-Christian reader, the goodness of Good Friday is available to you as well. What is keeping you from receiving this great gift? Do you stumble over the facts of the crucifixion and the resurrection? Or do you have trouble with what these facts mean and what they are said to accomplish? I'm pretty sure that the only people who read this blog are people I know, so please, as one who loves you, hear my heartfelt request and consider the offer God makes to you this Good Friday. What is so worth hanging on to that you would turn down such an invitation from such a gracious God?

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Feel free to email me directly if you don't want to post your thoughts publicly (marymmcculloch@hotmail.com).



1 comment:

Jamie Butts said...

Mary,
Thanks for the thoughts on Good Friday. My kids and I had a similar talk yesterday about what makes Good Friday so good. I am excited about your blog! (And Adam's).
Love you, friend.
Jamie