Sunday, March 1, 2009

Songs for my children

For today, a brief hiatus from the Meditations on Motherhood...mostly due to the fact that I haven't been able to finish the ones I am working on because Katie has suddenly decided to stop napping! Great timing, kid! So instead I'll share with you this window into my life....

A while ago my friend had a blogpost about the song she and her husband had chosen for their daughter. It was a precious post about how they sing "Nothing but the Blood of Jesus" to their child every night before bed and how clearly comforted she is by that song whenever she is troubled.

I couldn't help but smile, however, as I thought of the songs I have for my children....

  • Even though she isn't even born yet, Caroline already has one, and I bet you can guess what it is. (You'd better be hearing Neil Diamond singing in your head right now... )
  • If we ever have a boy, his song is already picked out too. Adam is set on the name James for his son, which I'm okay with because it means I can sing this song to him.
  • No song with Katie's name in it has ever popped into my head, but I often adapt songs to sing to her by replacing her name in them. The song that has eventually become "hers" is pretty random, and I'm not actually sure how it came to be "her" song. Are you ready? Mariah Carey's "Always Be My Baby."
  • And just so you don't think I'm a total pagan, I do have a song that I've sung to Katie every night before bed since she was an infant. It's the Barocha, the Aaronic blessing from Numbers 6:24-26. And I'm pretty sure she even likes it more than "Always Be My Baby."

1 comment:

The Cooks said...

I seriously have a little brother (12) whose name is James -- after James Taylor. No lie. My mother's a BIG fan.